Tuesday 4 November 2014

Discoggs 5 - The one where I went to Spain

It’s been a busy 10 days or so. Lots of shows, lots of miles travelled, lots to listen to…



Or watch them here...



Turn it around – Lucius
Islington Assembly Hall, 22nd Oct. Two girls, one voice. Astonishing.

I Don’t Want Love – The Antlers
Hackney Empire, 24th Oct. I was so tired I could barely stand up. They made me feel even woozier.

Goshen ’97 – Strand of Oaks
Hoxton Square, 27th Oct. Lots of hair, lots of heart.

Heaven, How Long – East India Youth
Mercury Awards, 29th Oct. I couldn’t be prouder of William. Not that I have any right to be proud but, you know, we love it when our friends become successful and all that.

Busy Earnin’ – Jungle
Mercury Awards, 29th Oct. These were my second favourites, judged only on how much I’ve enjoyed the album. That’s what it’s all about, right?

Conversation 16 – The National
Madrid, Spain 31st Oct and Bilbao, Spain 1st Nov. The fact that I crossed another country (again) to see them twice in two nights should say it all really. People get a bit weirded out that I travel so far to see them but in all honesty, no other band makes me feel so great. It’s as simple as that. Sufjan Stevens joined them on these dates, presumably to fill in the gaps left by Ben Lanz and Kyle Resnik I think. Both shows were great, but they were REALLY on fire in Bilbao. Maybe it was because the venue was basically a convention centre and they were trying their damndest to make it feel like it was somewhere with more soul. Which they did. And then some.

I Will Come Back – Holy Ghost
I didn’t quiiiite make it to see them in Bilbao. They were on at 3.15am and quite frankly, the free-pouring was making everything a little difficult by that point…

Walking on Wires – Cut Ribbons
Welsh pop sweethearts have a new EP. Whoop.

I Wanna Be Your Joey Ramone – Sleater-Kinney
The much loved Sleater-Kinney are BACK. Time to dust off the back catalogue.

This Must Be The Place – Talking Heads
Late night listening.

Shake Ya Ass – Mystikal
Iggy managed to play this on 6Music on Saturday afternoon. F**k knows how.

Next of Kin – Alvvays
DREAMY.

Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence – Ryuichi Sakamoto
Great choice from Mr. Walker. It’s been my earworm all week.

No comments:

Post a Comment